Wednesday, February 23, 2011

With a Little Help From My Friends

Blog writing can be a fairly daunting task at times.  My goal in writing is to be honest about what our lives are truly like, and to express where I am personally in the various aspects of my life.  It's a great way to communicate with friends and family back home, with whom I haven't nearly as consistent contact as I would like.  It's also a great way to keep more personal communication with churches and people who have been so faithful to lift us and our work up in prayer.  It can be challenging to be candid, but I highly value the insights and bonds that are created when we are genuine with each other.  


In my last post I was very honest about my struggles.  I was a bit uncomfortable with putting that out there, and I didn't want to seem whiny or like someone who isn't appreciative of the blessings they've been given.  However, I am so grateful for the sweet hearts of my friends who received my words in the way the were intended, and who offered sweet encouragement in return.  My friend Tracy reminded me of the words of the 84th Psalm.  


5 What joy for those whose strength comes from the Lord,
      who have set their minds on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
 6 When they walk through the Valley of Weeping,[a]
      it will become a place of refreshing springs.
      The autumn rains will clothe it with blessings.
 7 They will continue to grow stronger,
      and each of them will appear before God in Jerusalem.[b]


What a great reminder that this is all a journey, and though we have some tough times, we persevere and are soon refreshed with sweet springs.  Of course, the imagery of autumn rains speaks volumes to me as I eagerly await experiencing our first fall in three years this year!  When I am reminded that hard times are not for naught, that we will be strengthened by them, I reflect on my life and see that God has always been faithful to that promise, and the rewards he has given have always far surpassed the struggle in the meantime.  Beyond that, we know that the end of the journey contains a joy that for 
surpasses anything we have known, when we "will appear before God in Jerusalem."  


And so today, I recognize that my sweet friends who share in my life, pray for,  and encourage me are the "glimpses of grace" that I don't want to take for granted.  Thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment